Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ETH-08 and DC08a controllers
Could anyone tell me how, or if, a DC08 and an ETH-08 be run at the same time in a single show?

I have tried everything that i can think of to no avail!

As a complete novice at this, i would appreciate any and all help!

Thank you in anticipation
If you have a Professional License, then Yes you can control both Serial and Ethernet devices together within your show.

In the Configuration Editor within the Show Designer just setup both Serial and Ethernet networks, giving them suitable names (i.e. Net 1 and Net 2 in the attached screenshot). When you create/assign your Display Items etc, to controllers on the appropriate network.

Hope that helps, let me know if you still have problems.

Craig.

(19-03-2018, 10:46 AM)Craig Wrote: If you have a Professional License, then Yes you can control both Serial and Ethernet devices together within your show.

In the Configuration Editor within the Show Designer just setup both Serial and Ethernet networks, giving them suitable names (i.e. Net 1 and Net 2 in the attached screenshot). When you create/assign your Display Items etc, to controllers on the appropriate network.

Hope that helps, let me know if you still have problems.

Craig.
Thank you for replying so quickly.

I do have a professional license, which is a bit of a misnomer as i am definitely NOT a professional, but i will persevere!

I have set up both the RS485 and Ethernet networks as net 1 and net 2 respectively.

Have tried lots of different ways to configure pixels on the Ethernet controller but with no luck so far!

I have a license for 450 pixels and would like to set up 75 each on outputs 1 through 6.

Could you please, if you have time, write a short walk-through on how to achieve this as i am out of ideas now!

Thank you again.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

First, configure your ethernet controller using the Ethernet Device manager. For your requirements, configure outputs 1 to 6 to have 75 channels, 1 Pixel Per Channel and then select the appropriate pixel type (2811, 8806 etc). Then save the settings.

Now use the control tab in the Ethernet Device manager to test your settings and pixels. Test each output in turn. So for example select output 1, channel 0 (channel 0 will control all 75 leds together) then use the Red, Green and Blue sliders. The pixels on output 1 should illuminate. If the colours are wrong (e.g. you move the red slider but green illuminates) change the RGB format in the settings and try again.

Once the controller is configured and all outputs are tested move onto the Show Designer.  One important thing to note is that only one application can communicate to the controllers (serial or Ethernet) at any one time, so ensure you close the device manager before staring the Show Designer or Show Player etc.

When creating a new show be sure to create an Advanced show  (Which looking at your screenshot you have done)

For configuring pixels in the Show Designer you have two options.

Option 1 - You can configure channels one by one in a similar manor to how you configure DC08 channels, (looking at the screen shot this is what you have done). If you look at the sample show RGB Addressable strip  in File/Sample Shows, this is how they are configured. You may need to change the configuration in the device manger to match your network and controller id etc to get this to run. (See image 1) Note that 192.168.168.130#1 means output 1 of ethernet controller with an address of 192.168.168.130. The channel id represents the LED on the strip.

Option 2 - Now this is the best way as it gives you access to some great features in the software. Use the Add Pixel item in the software (rather than Add Display Item). This will allow you to create Pixel Tree's, Pixel Grids, Pixel Stars etc as well as a basic Pixel String. Use the Dialog to create a Pixel String and assign one controller output of 75 pixels to it. (See image2). You will get a wiring diagram popup, just click ok as the default wiring will be fine.

You can repeat for the other 6 outputs if you like, or you can create one large pixel string of 450 that uses all 6 outputs of 75 pixels.

If you have used option 2 you can use various pixel tools to create effects. For example to create a pattern on your pixel string, select an area in the top grid (on your pixel item), Right click and and select pattern from the popup menu (See left of pattern screen shot) [Alternatively select pattern from the effects tab on the ribbon menu].  Then select a pattern effect (eg. Cyan-White - see right of pattern screenshot) and click ok to add the pattern to your pixel item.  When you play the show the pattern should be played on your pixels (Be sure the control lights switch on the home ribbon tab is Green/On).

Craig.
Hello again Craig,

I have, as far as i know, followed your instructions to the letter. I am obviously missing something.

I have configured the ETH08 controller as you suggested and in the control section of the Ethernet device manager, everything is exactly as it should be. I can control all six outputs and each and every pixel.

When using the device manager I notice that the green LED flashes at a fast rate as it receives the data. when running my show, on the other hand, the same LED is just flashing at the 'normal' connected rate. the light control button is set to 'ON' and the serial comms work as expected.

I have attached 3 screenshots to show how things stand at the moment. Screenshot 6 was just a test one.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Look like you have an IP address wrong.
Try using 192.168.1.130 in the Show Designer as per your configuration in the Device Manager (not 192.168.168.130).

Craig
For Craig,

Thank you very much. that was my mistake. all working fine now.

I shall be recommending Syncrolight to all those who may be interested in putting on their own displays.

Sheepdip.