Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
240 Controller / Hello
Hi All, new to forum so bear with me please, i am just getting into lighting displays and it very addictive to say the least. has anyone any ideas for using the 240V 8 channel controller of how long this can be on for? Also, i am wanting to use the controller to control some 12/24v lights (Led Reindeer with moving heads) which are on plug in transformers, can i wire up a 4 way extension lead to one of the channels and control it like that, i have worked out that the max ampage is less than 2600ma total  for all 4 units, is this the best way or is there some other?

Many thanks in advance
Hi Rick
2.6 Amps for one outlet is within the 5 Amp maximum, and assuming all the lights are not on at the same time, you should be ok 'load' wise. If your lights are fed from their own transformers, then expect a delay - so synching them to music may be difficult. Feeding the lights from dedicated DC supplies, may also prove to be disappointing as the LEDs may be wired to work on each half cycle of the 12 or 24 volts from the transformers supplied with them (i.e. only half the lights will come on during each half cycle, so you will see a slight flicker rather than a steady glow). Check the transformers that were supplied to see if the secondary is AC, or if it's been rectified to DC. Hope that gives you some pointers.
Regards
Sandy
I will vouch with what sandy123 says about running low voltage lighting through the 240 AC controllers with their transformers. Unless they have their own transformers which send a direct current and the symbol are 2 lines with the bottom line with 3 dashes --- while the top line is a solid line then it should be fine.

Most low voltage LED lights are running on rectified DC but the some are on AC due to other components eg the motor and cost cutting.
Thank you for your replies, i think i understand, the main reason why i want to use the 240 controller is the items like the reindeer and led polar bears i want on when the main display (one to music) is not on, so having a slight delay will not matter. i do not want these on when i have the other lights in line with the music. so my idea is to turn off the static items and not have them running with the main music.

Thanks for taking time to answer, and i will let you know results.

Many Thanks
I do like your idea. I do it myself. I have a couple a few lights used as my breaks so when the main show is not running then having the odd lamp helps to break up the evening.