Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pi Show player USB
Hi all,

I didnt want to clutter the Pi Show player thread with questions so started a new one as I'm having a bit of trouble getting it working.

I've exported a test show that uses both ethernet and USB interfaces and copied it to the Pi.

When I run it i get an error message:
ERROR - Failed to open USB device

The test show still plays with the ethernet controller working fine but the USB controller isnt working.

I thought I may have stuffed up the driver installation so I have reformatted the USB card, a clean install of Raspbian on the Pi and reinstalled everything but with the same result.

Added to rc.local and executed in terminal to test
sudo rmmod ftdi_sio
sudo rmmod usbserial

I then tried building the examples with the FTDI driver installation and executed the EEPROM read example to verify that the driver was working and the USB interface was being recognised which it seems to be as the EEPROM read example returns VendorID and ProductID amongst other data.

Any ideas what I can try please as I am properly stumped Smile

Cheers

Tom
Hi Tom,

Are you using the --s option to specify the name of your serial network?
If so check this name matches what you have defined in the Show Designer (eg. 'Net 1').

Craig.
Hi Craig,

Yes I've tried both specifying the serial interface as 'Net 1' and by letting it assume the default value which is I believe the same?

I've tried using the command:

./player --v --s Net 1 test1.shp

This gives the following output to the screen

Starting...

ERROR - Failed to open USB device
Ethernet started OK

Show starting.

Show finished.

Show starting.

Show finished.

Show starting.
Serial Network :Net 1
Ethernet Network :Net 2
Show Name : Wizards in Winter
Duration : 247798
Elapsed = 45745.000000
Show finished.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std:Confusedystem_error'
what(): Invalid argument
Aborted

I know the description seems a bit off I just copied a show across and made it non-musical to save having to do the configuration all over again.

The ethernet part works fine its just the USB that isnt working. So far I have tried wiping the SD card, fresh install of linux and moving to various USB ports. It does seem to recognise the controller is there though as you can read data from it using the EEPROM read example that comes with the FTDI driver.
Not sure if it will help but try putting Net 1in single quotes as it contains a space i.e.
./player --v --s'Net 1' test1.shp
Hi Craig,

Unfortunately still does the same thing.
Are you running as superuser?
if not try using sudo:

sudo ./player --v - test1.shp

Also I think the --s should be --p (At least it is on Version 1.1)
--s is for the secondary USB
--p is for the primary USB

Craig
Hi Craig,

Up and running Smile

I tried using sudo but was still getting the same result, then I realised that I hadnt unloaded the VCP driver first as per your readme file. I had been doing thois previously without success however by running at superuser and unloading the VCP driver it works Smile