Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiring up RGB strip to controller
Hi everyone

I'm very new to all of this. Did my first display last year. 

I am looking to add approximately 25mtrs of RGB led strips to border my house for this year but I don't understand how to wire them up.

Would anyone be able to send me a link to a video that shows how to do this? At present I have an 8 channel mains controller but know I'll need more if I go ahead. Also how do I connect the 5m strips to eachother and will one power source run the whole.lot? 

Thanks.
For the normal RGB strip (non-addressable type where you control the colour of the hole strip), you need to use a DC08 or DC03 controller. These types of strips have 4 wires, generally the colours are as below, but always check the wire colour information that is provided with the strips:

Black Cable :Common +
Red Cable : Red -
Green Cable : Green -
Blue Cable : Blue -

To connect to a DC controller, you will need to use 3 channels, one to control the RED, one channel for the GREEN and one channel for the BLUE. In the Show Designer you configure these 3 channels as RGB-Red, RGB-Green and RGB-Blue (See the 'RGB Strip' Sample sequence in the Show Designer for an example of the setup).

The Common + (black) wire connects to any of the + outputs from the DC controller. The Red - cable goes to one of the - outputs (eg. Output 1 -), the Green - Cable goes to the next - output (e.g Output 2 -) and the Blue - to the next output (e.g. Output 3 -).

You can connect multiple strips together. The ends have solder points so you can solder wires to connect the next strip.  You just need to ensure you get a power supply capable of powering multiple strips. For multiple strips you may also need to upgrade the 5amp fuse the controller. The controller will handle more than 5 amps, but if drawing lots of amps through a controller only do so as part of a light show, and do not leave strips on constantly for long periods.

As for the the addressable RGB strips, that allow individual control of each LED, you will need either the Ethernet controller or the SD card controller. (Ethernet controller is best option for multiple strips). These are slightly more complex to setup and control. The wiring of these varies depending on the strips /pixels you choose.

Hope that helps .
Craig.