Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mega tree again
I’m thinking that I don’t need to go 360 on my mega tree build and that 180 will be best. With that in mind, how many strips will give the best visuals? I’ve seen mention 16 as a minimum but 24 is also mentioned. I’m looking for a 3m pole to build around, what sort of diameter on the base should I be looking at? I’ll be using 12v pixels. Thanks.
OK! I Will bite!!
Instead of spending numerous amounts of 'pounds' on these numerous amounts of strips that you may have to use for whatever you decide. why not think sensible????
You have recently started Threads and added to Posts, relating to LED Strings etc. AND mentioned you are new to this sort of stuff.!
SO! WHY are you jumping to things like MEGA Trees and Pixels etc.?
IF you really want to use your 3M Pole, then try getting into MAYPOLE Dancing!!!
Basically, what I am saying is that I don't understand where you are coming from ( and I suppose nobody else does!)
I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, and as this Forum is not a 'Technical' Forum' - Therefore I am being polite!!!!!
What do you actually want?
Do you actually want someone to do it all for you?
Don’t bother biting Sandy, I can already see that there is no chance of getting any help from this forum. Maybe this is why it’s not really that active!!
Hi Jagnew,

There is no one perfect solution for a Mega Trees unfortunately. There are a lot of variables and its often down to trial and error to see what works best for your layout.

Like Sandy was saying, pixels are an advanced item, and whilst they can produce some amazing effects, they can be very tricky and time consuming to work with and sequence. Its always best to start small and build up your display gradually as your knowledge and experience grows. But if you have the time, a Mega Tree is possible, just start small by playing with a few strings of pixels before jumping straight into a Mega Tree. Then build a smaller/narrow Mega Tree to start and then expand to the size you are comfortable with.

For 360 degree Mega Trees that are viewed from front only, the pixels are best hanging free rather than mounted in strips so they can be viewed from the front. But with the pixels hanging, you do not get exact spacing, making text and some effects less effective. You can get some nice spinning and spiraling effects though that you cant get with a half mega tree.

180 degree (or less) Mega Trees are better suited to the mounting strips. If you want to display text, closer pixel spacing and more strips/strings is better. For just colour effects the pixel spacing can be wider with fewer strips.

Craig.
Thanks for the reply Craig. I’m not one for starting at the shallow end but rather jumping into the deep end right off. I’m already well on the way and getting lots of answers to my questions elsewhere from lots of friendly folk who said not to use the pole for dancing just yet as they would get me through this :-)
Hi!
Craig has basically summed up what I was trying to get at.
There's some videos on You Tube etc. that might give you a few pointers on where to go and also the dimensions.
Any ones that I have looked at are American, so they do things bigger than we would class as ordinary (but that is down to you)
I am pleased that you have continued on this Forum (i.e. your recent post on the DC-08 controller issue), and that I never put you off.
I had a busy evening that night, programming an MCu for WS2812B, only to find the compiled programme would not burn to the MCu.
(got it sorted - not a synchrolight thing) So maybe I was a bit less patient I might have been.
Regards
Sandy
No problem Sandy. I do feel a bit out of my depth but I will not let that put me off. I will plug away at any problems or issues until I get it right. You are correct about some of the other sites in the US, they certainly do go bigger but on the whole, a lot of the information is still helpful even if they are using different controllers. 

Some of my questions may seem basic and you may think why am I asking that but I really am looking for answers. Anyway I’m determined to make my mark this coming Christmas (the foster kids) love the lights but this is another ball game and I can’t wait to see their faces when the switch gets pushed.
I am also interested in doing a mega tree for next X-mas.
Last year I built a 5 pointed star with 90 large pixels that was awesome.
To be honest, I mostly ran with the sample sequences on the SD card in the controller, - but, - with a lot of help (Thanks Craig) I made some build specific routines - and have been asked to take my star to some parties & events since Christmas. Currently working on setting my star to music.

Regarding building a MegaTree for December 22 I was also wondering about how many strings?
For my star, I ziplock tied every 3led 2011 unit to webbing, - so they always faced forwards, but for the mega tree, I am thinking of using ropes of PXL-2818 as i will need a lot more units.

QUESTIONS ...... single bulb wire ropes of pixels will spin & twist, so many/most will not face "forward"
The display will be mounted on the front of my house, or rather, hung from it.
Will the orientation of each individual pixel matter much? - the might face out, sideways, or back against the bricks....

My bit of wall allows the megatree (horid name) to be maximum 230cm high. - with a base maximum 2m wide, - but might make it less, so it is more "cone" shaped - 1.6m base looks more tree shaped to me!

I might lay it flat against the wall, but ideally I will construct some semicircular loop frame so it becomes 3d / "half" a cone.
I also am wondering how many strings I should plan to use?
Obviously, more strings will produce a fuller animation.... at a cost

So, to repeat the original question, how many strings? - will 12 drops be enough
If each string has 25 pixel units its 300 pixels

Any suggestions .... and also on managing the direction that the individual bulb units point ..... with that many units ... I cannot work out how to make them all face "forwards"

Many thanks. Pixels are adictive!
Phil
Hi Phil, As you probably know I’m a newbie at this too. I think you need to go 16 strings minimum but might be wrong. I suppose it depends on what you expect to show on your tree.

I’m in the process of pushing pixels for my 180 tree and will go at least 16 strings but maybe 20 so that it gives a bit more viewing angle. I want to be able to show images on mine so I’ve gone for 100 pixels per string at 1” spacing for the best possible show.