Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newbie question
Hi all, launching myself into the world of Christmas light shows and know absolutely nothing about this stuff  Big Grin

I'm in the planning stage just now for next Christmas, trying to work out what lights I want and the lengths I need. so for string lights I need some lengths of 5m, can I cut them to size and use the other 5m left over? I'm handy with a soldering iron so no problem there.

Oh, I've already bought my 1st controller pack to play around with. I can see me needing several before I'm finished.
Hi

Yes you can cut the standard 100 and 200 led strings every 8 leds, where the wires go to 2 wires.
Yes, you can reuse the offcuts too.

Craig
(10-01-2022, 11:12 PM)Craig Wrote: Hi

Yes you can cut the standard 100 and 200 led strings every 8 leds, where the wires go to 2 wires.
Yes, you can reuse the offcuts too.

Craig
Great, I assume it doesn't matter which is +/- and the other ends just get connected together and some heatshrink.
The cut ends should be isolated. On the offcut you will need to identify which is the positive wire. The leds will only light if you have + and - the correct way around. It will not harm the leds if the polarity is wrong, the leds will just not illuminate.

Craig
Hi
Do NOT cut at every 8 led's! check the string you have!
Only cut the wires when they are in pairs (two wires). Otherwise you cause yourself more problems and possibly write off the whole string for future use.
Craig may be talking about new strings that Synschlolight are providing, but check the wiring configuration (only cut the pairs)!!!!.
I am now in the process of using LED's from my 100 strings (which I've had for a few years) and cutting them to suit (ish!)
Every 10 LED is when I come to a twin wire that I can cut and use.
Yes you can use the offcuts for future use, and just terminate the end cuts that you have made.
Please look at previous Threads on the subject of LED strings.
There's plenty of Threads on this forum relating to LED strings.
In fact - I posted a thread two previous to this one!!!!!
Regards
Sandy
(12-01-2022, 11:29 PM)sandy123 Wrote: Hi
Do NOT cut at every 8 led's! check the string you have!
Only cut the wires when they are in pairs (two wires). Otherwise you cause yourself more problems and possibly write off the whole string for future use.
Craig may be talking about new strings that Synschlolight are providing, but check the wiring configuration (only cut the pairs)!!!!.
I am now  in the process of using LED's from my 100 strings (which I've had for a few years) and cutting them to suit (ish!)
Every 10 LED is when I come to a twin wire that I can cut and use.
Yes you can use the offcuts for future use, and just terminate the end cuts that you have made.
Please look at previous Threads on the subject of LED strings.
There's plenty of Threads on this forum relating to LED strings.
In fact - I posted a thread two previous to this one!!!!!
Regards
Sandy
Thanks Sandy, this is all new to me so any help and tips are most welcome but determined to have a nice show for this Christmas ? Yes it is the new lights from syncrolight that I have and noticed the twin wires already, not cut anything yet.