Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ac or dc contoller (newbie)
Hi All,
Im new to this so please bare with me...

just looking for some advice regarding choosing an AC controller or DC controller. I was originally going to purchase the 24 channel DC controller however I wouldn't of been able to use some of my existing lights for example the rope silhouette lights I have only have a standard 240v plug on it and does not have a step down control box before powering the light. then I considered buying x3 8 channel AC controllers so I could use the silhouette lights and anything with a standard plug. I thought this was is going to be much easier however after reading on Syncrolights website about the potential delays on the low voltage lights which I have tested and im getting around a 2sec delay now im a bit stuck on what to do. now im back considering the DC controller and doing away with the rope silhouette lights but the issue I have now is the mix of voltage I have for example I have 2 sets of 5 light up candy canes which on the transformer plug states output 31v, x3 stars output each 16v, string lights ranging from 12v to 24v. just need some advice on what to do about the different voltages I have and what power supply I would need to power the 24 channel DC controller.

Apologies for the long post just want to get it right from the start
Many thanks
Aysin
This is a common problem with different voltages.  You can have a mix of AC and DC controllers on one network.  You link them with data cable and give them different ID's in the software. 

On the 24 channel DC controller you can have 2 different power supplies so could have 12 channels of one voltage on one side of the controller and a different voltage on the other side.  But on the 8 channel DC controllers all the lights should be the same voltage with one power supply to run them all.

Jane
Hi Jane,

many thanks for your reply and information.

i have just one more question..

I have been looking at some lights to purchase which have a transformer plugs on them however the PRI input is 240v and SEC out put is 24v~ ac im really confused as I assumed the transformer plugs were DC. im guessing I would have to purchase an AC controller however im going to have the issues with light delays as explain in my previous post. would I be better scrapping all existing AC lights and start fresh with DC lights?

many thanks
Yes many lights do use AC power supplies.  It can be confusing which is why we have carefully sourced a range of lights which are made to our requirements so they are compatible with our controllers.

Jane
Syncrolight