Syncrolight Forum
Pixels - Trying to work it all out - Printable Version

+- Syncrolight Forum (https://www.syncrolight.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Light Shows (https://www.syncrolight.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.syncrolight.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Pixels - Trying to work it all out (/showthread.php?tid=176)

Pixels - Trying to work it all out - cymglo - 18-10-2020

Hi Again,

So I'm looking to get started with adding pixels to my display this year, just wanted to ask a few things:

Already found I will need to upgrade to the Pro software to run ethernet controller with existing DC ones.

Looking at the SL-4000 controller with 1000 pixel licence, and to start with probably 2 of the WS2811 strings each of 50 pixels. This will I believe require a 5v power supply to run the controller, I also read somewhere about powering each string individuallly / injecting power to each? Does this mean a seperate PSU for each string?

With the 2 external output ports I could put 1 string in each, and guessing that if I get extra strings in future they can just be connected onto the ends of the existing ones and programmed as required? e.g If I had say 4 different pixel items a few metres apart from each other I could just tell the software that "string A" is here and "string B" there, or would it all count as one item?

Sorry for so many questions but just want to make sure I know exactly what I need to get going!

RE: Pixels - Trying to work it all out - grigg - 19-10-2020

(18-10-2020, 11:04 PM)cymglo Wrote: Hi Again,

So I'm looking to get started with adding pixels to my display this year, just wanted to ask a few things:

Already found I will need to upgrade to the Pro software to run ethernet controller with existing DC ones.

Looking at the SL-4000 controller with 1000 pixel licence, and to start with probably 2 of the WS2811 strings each of 50 pixels. This will I believe require a 5v power supply to run the controller, I also read somewhere about powering each string individuallly / injecting power to each? Does this mean a seperate PSU for each string?

With the 2 external output ports I could put 1 string in each, and guessing that if I get extra strings in future they can just be connected onto the ends of the existing ones and programmed as required? e.g If I had say 4 different pixel items a few metres apart from each other I could just tell the software that "string A" is here and "string B" there, or would it all count as one item?

Sorry for so many questions but just want to make sure I know exactly what I need to get going!

Hi 

In regards to the SL-4000 to power that you will need a 5v power supply i recommend the 5v weatherproof power supply available on the syncrolight website (https://syncrolight.co.uk/ProductDetails/PS-5V-DC-10A-EXT.aspx

if your just using 2 sets of 50 ws2811 pixels you can connect them to the 2 external outputs 
you wouldn't have to inject power separately as there would be enough power to the lights from the controller

for example if your thinking of having x4 sets of ws2811 pixels connected together in one long line you would then need to inject power at the other end of the string.
for this you would need to purchase an additional power supply depending on how many pixels you would either need a 5v 60 amp or a 5v 20 amp power supply also available on the syncrolight website 

since your using WS2811 pixels these type of pixels are 3 wire instead of 4 (+5v,data,gnd) these don't need a clk wire.

in regards to the second part of your question 

you can actually put x2 sets if pixels in both outputs the SL-4000 allows for 8 outputs to do this you would need ws2811 pixels (with 3 wires)

the instruction manual that comes with the controller will explain more about this 

If you need some photos i have some on my facebook page of how my controllers are set up 

hope this makes sense

kind regards 

Jack

RE: Pixels - Trying to work it all out - cymglo - 19-10-2020

(19-10-2020, 12:42 AM)grigg Wrote:

Hi 

In regards to the SL-4000 to power that you will need a 5v power supply i recommend the 5v weatherproof power supply available on the syncrolight website (https://syncrolight.co.uk/ProductDetails/PS-5V-DC-10A-EXT.aspx

if your just using 2 sets of 50 ws2811 pixels you can connect them to the 2 external outputs 
you wouldn't have to inject power separately as there would be enough power to the lights from the controller

for example if your thinking of having x4 sets of ws2811 pixels connected together in one long line you would then need to inject power at the other end of the string.
for this you would need to purchase an additional power supply depending on how many pixels you would either need a 5v 60 amp or a 5v 20 amp power supply also available on the syncrolight website 

since your using WS2811 pixels these type of pixels are 3 wire instead of 4 (+5v,data,gnd) these don't need a clk wire.

you can actually put x2 sets if pixels in both outputs the SL-4000 allows for 8 outputs to do this you would need ws2811 pixels (with 3 wires)

the instruction manual that comes with the controller will explain more about this 

If you need some photos i have some on my facebook page of how my controllers are set up 

hope this makes sense

kind regards 

Jack
Makes a bit more sense, thanks.  Could you let me know link to facebook page that would be helpful.

RE: Pixels - Trying to work it all out - grigg - 19-10-2020

(19-10-2020, 03:56 PM)cymglo Wrote:
(19-10-2020, 12:42 AM)grigg Wrote:

Hi 

hope this makes sense

kind regards 

Jack
Makes a bit more sense, thanks.  Could you let me know link to facebook page that would be helpful.
Hi sorry i thought i attached the link here it is 

https://www.facebook.com/Griggschristmasdisplays

kind regards 

jack