Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi - Show Player
Syncrolight Show Player for the Raspberry Pi - Available soon.

If you don't have an old laptop or PC to run your display then this is a perfect solution.  The Raspberry Pi is small and will boot and run without needing any screen or keyboard attached it, so its easy to accommodate if you have limited space.

Simply use the Syncrolight Show Designer to create your show as normal then export it to .SHP format and copy onto the PI. The Pi will play mp3 files and output the audio for the show via the headphone jack.

The USB-RS485 cable for your controllers simply connects to a USB port on the Pi just the same as a PC.

The Raspberry Pi Show Player supports all our USB-RS485 controllers and we hope to add support for our Ethernet controllers soon too.

If anyone wants more information please let me know.

Craig.
Syncrolight Show Player for the Raspberry Pi is now available.

Installation Instructions and player is attached.

Craig.

Attached Files
.txt   ReadMe.txt (Size: 2.29 KB / Downloads: 102)
.tar   player.tar (Size: 190 KB / Downloads: 48)
Hi don't suppose there is or is going to be a youtube how video to set this up any time soon please? I am new to the raspberry pi. I have Raspbian installed ran the apt-get processes just don't know how to use/install the player. Would also i guess need to program it to run it automatically.
Hi Correl,

Sorry we don't have a youtube video for the Pi at present. Once you have done the apt-get on the libao and mpg123 you need to copy the player.tar to the Pi. You can either use a file transfer utility like pscp.exe (see http://www.putty.org ) or copy the file using and a USB Memory stick.

You can mount a USB Memory Stick on the Pi with a mount commands such as below:
sudo mount -t vfat -o uid=pi,gid=pi /dev/sda1 /media/usb

You can then copy from the Memory stick with the cp command:
cp /media/usb/player.tar .

You can use the same method to transfer your shows and music files to the Pi.

To start the player automatically when the pi boots you need to edit the /etc/rc.local file and add your player command that you want to run. (Any commands in /etc/rc.local file will be executed whenever the Pi starts).

You can edit the file with an editor such as nano
sudo nano /etc/rc.local

Hope that helps.

Craig.
Hi Craig, just wondering if ehternet controller support is still likely to go ahead as I was seriously considering using a Pi as I have a few kicking around and would save me leaving a laptop somewhere vulnerable.

Cheers

Tom
Hi Tom,
We do have a version of the Pi Show Player that works with the Ethernet controller, we used it on a couple of displays last year and hope to again this year. The only minor issue is that at present the Pi Show Player does not contain the network optimization like our Windows Show Player and Show Designer, so we did find that fast or heavy use of pixels can lead to the odd frame being lost. If you want to give the latest version a try let me know.

Craig
(15-10-2017, 06:42 PM)Craig Wrote: Hi Tom,
We do have a version of the Pi Show Player that works with the Ethernet controller, we used it on a couple of displays last year and hope to again this year.  The only minor issue is that at present the Pi Show Player does not contain the network optimization like our Windows Show Player and Show Designer, so we did find that fast or heavy use of pixels can lead to the odd frame being lost. If you want to give the latest version a try let me know.

Craig

Hi Craig,

If that would be ok with you then yes please I would certainly like to give it a try. The show I am planning is using approx 600 pixels on the ethernet controller and the remainder split over 2 SD card controllers so hopefully that would work Smile
(09-11-2016, 06:33 PM)Do I need a pro license to be able to use this feature?Craig Wrote: Syncrolight Show Player for the Raspberry Pi is now available.

Installation Instructions and player is attached.

Craig.
Yes you need a professional software license to export to the Raspberry PI.

Jane 
Syncrolight