Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having a problem getting SD card controller working
Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of a problem getting the SD card controller to work.

I have hooked up a 1 metre 2812 strip and it doesnt do anything other than blink all the led's at powerup. I have used the utility on the SD card and set it to Stand-alone, 60 channels, 1 output and the correct type.

Double checked the connections at the controller, + pin to 5V on strip, - pin to GND on strip, DAT to DIN on strip and CLK not connected.

In the absence of another controller I had an Arduino sitting around so I've hooked that up to the strip and ran a test pattern with no problems so the strip is working fine.

Is there anything I might be doing wrong or something I've missed?

Cheers

Tom
I have tried connecting the controller via the cable to the PC and it detects the SD controller OK in device manager, it just doesn't appear to be outputting anything
For 2811,2812 or 2801 you need to ensure you have single output SD card controller. Earlier version were sold as single output or 4 outputs, recent versions are configurable by PCB jumpers and are normally dispatched preset for single output.

If you are configuring for stand-alone use, using the supplied sequences, it is important that the controller id is set to 1, as this is what the pre-programmed sequences are set for. If the SD card controller and strip were purchased from us together, we usually configure the SD card controller for you. When the stand-alone sequences are playing the LED with flash quickly and pressing the button will change between sequences.
Hi

Thanks for the help, hope you had a good xmas.

I only purchased it earlier this month so I would assume its the recent version, would i invalidate my warranty by opening to check the jumper?

The strip was one I got from elsewhere just to test the controller worked ok as I wont be putting a display together till closer to next xmas so wont be buying many lights till a bit closer to the time. I will double check that the address is set to 1.

Thanks

Tom

Aha,

Its working on stand-alone now, as per your advice I changed it back to channel 1 and its all working fine.

Just about to try it out on RS485 and see if it works being controlled.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

OK, so I know now its something I'm doing wrong but I have now configured it as controller ID: 6 and it shows up and can be controlled on Device Manager from the quickstart, if I open show designer and create a 2d group of say 2x30 it is not working, I then checked in Device Manager from the Tools menu and the controller isnt showing up. IF I close show designer and go back to the Device Manager on quick start it is still showing up and working.

EDIT: Doh - I just found out it plays from the show player, I just assumed clicking on play in designer would actually control the outputs which I now assume it doesn't. All working fine Smile thanks for a great product

Cheers

Tom
Hi Tom,

The Show Designer will control connected controllers when playing a Show. In the "View" menu of the Show Designer please ensure "Control Lights" is ticked.

Craig.