Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Singing face wiring
Hi
I am already considering ideas for next year. I have been playing with the idea of having some singng xmas tree faces, which I have seen on some american displays. There is an american co. "HolidayCoro.com" which sells the base boards for these marked out with the bulb positions and channels, for LED bulbs. 
The bulbs per channel they list as follows:-

Channel 1 Tree outline 70 bulbs
Channel 2 Eyes open   70 bulbs (35 each eye)
Channel 3 Eyes closed  20 bulbs (10 each eye)
Channel 4 top lip           18
Channel 5 low lip           30
Channel 6 Bottom lip     35
Channel 7  "O" mouth   26
Channel 8 Mid mouth     35

My question is using a syncrolight 8 channel controller and LED strings how can I get the correct no. of bulbs per channel or do I buy longer strings than I need and just hide the unused ones behind the board.
I see one of the contributors displays on your facebook page has incorproated these faces in his display so I assume it is possible.
I could use addressable RGB lights but I think the cost would be prohibitive ( I want 4 faces each with the above configuration!!) as it is I will have to purchase bit by bit over the next few months.
Just thought I'd ask before I invest in the base boards (are there any UK suppliers you know of? I've tried searching the web but can only find HolidayCoro)

I did build my own singing pumpkin face using the 288 bulb animation pack, but I arranged it so each channel used all 36 bulbs in the string.

Any ideas/solutions appreciated

Sorry its a bit long winded.
Phil
Hi Phil,

You can cut our light strings to size if you to. The string can be cut where the wires go down to 2 wires between bulbs (I thinks its every 8 bulbs).

This video of Paul Thompson's display in Kent has 4 singing trees and other figures he made himself using our controllers and led light strings.

https://www.facebook.com/pauljt38/videos...121451448/

For very short strings you may also need to add a small ohm resister to reduce the current slightly to protect the LEDs.
Thanks for the reply, I had seen Pauls video and did message him last night after posting this. He has kindly replied with the same info.
If I cut the strings to the length required do I need to put the power in from the end it would be put in if the string were not cut? and what do I do with the wires at he opposite end, are they joined somehow to complete the circuit. (I may be talking rubbish but I don't have any in front of me at the moment, they are all in my current display!! Smile )

Phil
Hi Phil
Be careful if you are considering using other LED strings bought from Supermarkets etc. Synchrolight LED strings appear to have current limiting resistors that allow you to use the AC-DC Converters (approx. 34v DC output when attached to a 24v AC transformer) and run the LEDs at approximately 12mA. Supermarket LEds now all seem to come with electronic transformers and the Resistor(s) only allows for the designed Current reduction required. There's a very good chance you will get SED (smoke effect diode) instead of LED effect. If you decide to use LED strings sourced from another supplier, I'd recommend using a regulated 24v DC supply that can handle the current requirements of your circuits. Hope that helps when you are considering your design.
Regards
Sandy123
Thanks for the warning Sally, but I will be using only syncrolight products. Good quality and keeps everything consistant giving less chance of compatibillity issues. If I do have issues there's always this forum for help and advice.
Phil
(15-12-2016, 11:56 PM)magical46 Wrote: Thanks for the warning Sally, but I will be using only syncrolight products. Good quality and keeps everything consistant giving less chance of compatibillity issues. If I do have issues there's always this forum for help and advice.
Phil

No problem Phil. and the name is Sandy (the last time I looked anyway!!!! Wink )
(16-12-2016, 12:11 AM)sandy123 Wrote:
(15-12-2016, 11:56 PM)magical46 Wrote: Thanks for the warning Sally, but I will be using only syncrolight products. Good quality and keeps everything consistant giving less chance of compatibillity issues. If I do have issues there's always this forum for help and advice.
Phil

No problem Phil. and the name is Sandy (the last time I looked anyway!!!! Wink )

Oops Blush
i have already made singing tree faces for my display. i made the boards myself, drilled all the holes and inserted the lights.
Hi Phil
I've been watching to see if you'd been given any further advice, and also noted your reply to Arlette on your Halloween post.
As you've stated you've no experience in electrics, I'd definitely recommend that you don't cut the LED strings to suit the 'American' boards. The small animated light strings from Synchrolight are in multiples of 6 LEDs (i.e. 18, 24 and 36 LED strings). These appear to be wired in sets of 6 LEDs in series, and each set is then connected in parallel (like a ladder). You can cut 6 LEDs from the string (as long as you cut all 6 from the same series leg). If you cut less than 6 out of the string, then you must make sure that leg conducts the same current as the other legs in the Parallel circuit or you may find that you have different intensity of light on the ones that are left (may also burn them out).
I'd also recommend you buy exterior Plywood and draw your own outlines and drill 6mm holes where you are going to put the light bulbs (you can get a sheet from B&Q for less than £14 that will give you the equivalent of two sheets from the American website). If you do buy the Yank boards, you may also have to pay import tax and VAT.
If you still want to go down that road, don't cover the extra LEDs with tape or similar. The current limiting resistors are small wattage resistors and the heat generated needs to be dissipated into the surrounding air(also LEDs generate heat contrary to popular belief). 
I hope this hasn't been too negative, and won't put you off.

Regards
sandy
(26-12-2016, 11:55 AM)sandy123 Wrote: Hi Phil
I've been watching to see if you'd been given any further advice, and also noted your reply to Arlette on your Halloween post.
As you've stated you've no experience in electrics, I'd definitely recommend that you don't cut the LED strings to suit the 'American' boards. The small animated light strings from Synchrolight are in multiples of 6 LEDs (i.e. 18, 24 and 36 LED strings). These appear to be wired in sets of 6 LEDs in series, and each set is then connected in parallel (like a ladder). You can cut 6 LEDs from the string (as long as you cut all 6 from the same series leg). If you cut less than 6 out of the string, then you must make sure that leg conducts the same current as the other legs in the Parallel circuit or you may find that you have different intensity of light on the ones that are left (may also burn them out).
I'd also recommend you buy exterior Plywood and draw your own outlines and drill 6mm holes where you are going to put the light bulbs (you can get a sheet from B&Q for less than £14 that will give you the equivalent of two sheets from the American website). If you do buy the Yank boards, you may also have to pay import tax and VAT.
If you still want to go down that road, don't cover the extra LEDs with tape or similar. The current limiting resistors are small wattage resistors and the heat generated needs to be dissipated into the surrounding air(also LEDs generate heat contrary to popular belief). 
I hope this hasn't been too negative, and won't put you off.

Regards
sandy

Sandy, thanks for the above. I am still considering my options amd all help and advice greatly recieved. When I made my singing face for halloween I made all the sections with the same number of bulbs (36 as per the animation pack I have) so I may try and design my own using the same principle, at least then I won't have to worry about cutting strings, which if I get it wrong could be an expensive mistake. Syncrolight do have different length led strings, so once my xmas stuff is packed away I will start making some plans.
Phil

Just a thought but if there was enough interest in singing faces here in the uk (and there seems to be a growing trend) perhaps the boffins at syncrolight could put together a "Singing face pack" with an 8 channel controller and light strings of appropriate lengths for the various bits ( eyes mouth etc), with correct power supply, which the customer could then use on their own backboard design, be it a pumpkin, xmas tree, snowman etc. All the faces seem to be the same basic layout its how you position the bulbs that determines whether its a skull or a tree.
Phil