Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting LEDS lights
Hi, i am creating a few signing christmas trees and some of the channels only require about 20 LEDs yes i know you can wrap them up behind the panel but, its a waste, is there any way to cut the (say) 100 white LED string lights to shorter lengths and do i need to install a resistor (and if i do how)

Thanks you and wish you all a great 2021
(01-12-2020, 03:48 PM)rick Wrote: Hi, i am creating a few signing christmas trees and some of the channels only require about 20 LEDs yes i know you can wrap them up behind the panel but, its a waste, is there any way to cut the (say) 100 white LED string lights to shorter lengths and do i need to install a resistor (and if i do how)

Thanks you and wish you all a great 2021

Great question!  I was wondering the same (especially when putting lights around windows).  As this is my first year doing this, I have used cheap copper wire LED's (£5 for 12 meters) which work great!  You can cut them at any length but you do need to watch for overcurrent if going really short.
You can cut our standard light strings where the wires go to 2 wires (usually every 8 or 10 leds). If using large 5amp unregulated power supplies we recommend adding an additional resistor to the start of the string. We also recommend using brightness limiting function on the DC08 controller and set to the lowest level that provides an acceptable brightness. This will help limit the voltage and current to the leds to ensure the best led lifespan.
(03-12-2020, 10:56 PM)Craig Wrote: You can cut our standard light strings where the wires go to 2 wires (usually every 8 or 10 leds). If using large 5amp unregulated power supplies we recommend adding an additional resistor to the start of the string. We also recommend using brightness limiting function on the DC08 controller and set to the lowest level that provides an acceptable brightness. This will help limit the voltage and current to the leds to ensure the best led lifespan.

Hi Craig, thanks for this, what do i do with the 2 wires, isolate them both individually or join them together
Think you isolate them on most strings.
If the last 8 leds dont illuminate then join the wires together.